Wednesday

Heavy mood, light chicken recipe

In between recipes. I between jobs that really matter. In between bookings. In transition.

It is not every day that one feels this way. Morose. In limbo. Horny. Unmotivated. Motivated. Not sure where to put a step, as long as it is not on some doo doo some pretentious dog lover left at Serendra. I woke up this morning feeling heavy in the head, my hair all over my face (Yes, I am growing my hair out, since the silvers are slowly making their presence). Mid-life crisis? Nope. Not even close. My Fino wallet keeps me liquid. I have bookings when it matters. I can cook. Not a great chef, but I can hold my own. I got a great woman. I do not have a convertible. Although I am eyeing that old Merc our neighbor has neglected.

This are just musings. Because a lot in the world leaves much for pondering. Like, Kris Aquino’s backing out of her promise. The over the edge reality shows that are too much already. Tiger Woods and his philandering. Sandra Bullock and his philandering. The death of Gary Coleman and the ensuing childish skirmish over his body. Anthony Bourdain and his take on the lechon from Cebu. The elusive Silver Spoon cook book that has yet to pass my hands and the kitchen table.

Dusk means another end, and the anticipation of a new beginning. Whoever said it is darkest before dawn should be cooking. Or eating. Or having some schnapps. I want some schnapps now. Some grappa. Some Mavro Daphne from Patras. A big gulp, and a plate of rich Tiramisu. With Guns N’ Roses playing in the background. While preparing ….

chicken_roulade Chicken Breast with Prawn and Lemon Mousse

4 Chicken breasts, fillet attached
2 large prawns, shelled and deveined
1 egg white
50 g fresh coriander, chopped
50 ml whipping cream
20 ml lemon juice
salt and pepper

 

Make a slice on chicken breast to form a pocket. Detach fillet
Season with salt and pepper
Pulse prawns in a processor roughly
Add egg white and pulse until smooth. Careful not to pulse too long or it will cook
Transfer to bowl. Fold in lemon zest, coriander, cream and lemon juice. Season to taste
Spoon Prawn mousse into each breast pocket
Cover pocket with fillet, then wrap tightly into a roll with cling film
Wrap in foil, then steam for 15 minutes
Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve with steamed rice and lemon sauce

Why this light citrusy recipe? Because it contrasts with my mood at the moment. Because I felt like it. Because I can.

No comments: