Split bread in the hot springs

photo by Koyaya via TripWow
It was a light rain I woke up to this morning. Sky was dark and grey. The streets were still shaking off the night's downpour. Yes. Manila was on it's fourth day of swimming through the Monsoon. The news on the TV were not the kind of motivational cadre that one would set his to-do list to. And I was not going to let myself down that rabbit hole, because there mas much to accomplish this morning.
At half past eight this morning I got into the car with fellow Chef Tom by the Expressway turnoff. Settling into the climate controlled cockpit, we planned our agenda for that morning. After a quick stop at a local coffee shop along the expressway, I could see that Chef Tom was excited about the project. We were tasked to work on a local bakery that sold pan de sal, and the owners wanted to take it to the next level.
The rains were still pouring, but we managed to find the place after a few wrong turns and a bathroom detour, about an hour later. Into the mountains of Los Banos Laguna we went, parking just before the State University gate. The air was much cleaner here, and a light fog just settling over the hills.This is where people come to relax. This is the place were numerous hot springs dot the mountains. This is maybe where I would like to die someday.
The restaurant space was tiny, but it was specific for its purpose. Selling out-of-this-world bread.And the location was a great magnet for students from the University and residents from the surrounding area. And judging by the competition, Chef Tom found that they could have a niche. So much of a niche that they could milk it even more by yogurt ice cream. The owners were a young delightful couple, Carlo and Chel Vega. Having very little restaurant experience, we were there to help them out.
After hashing out a menu and measuring space and equipment dimensions, we said we would meet back in Manila to discuss blueprints and marketing. The meeting was a positive, and were more excited.
After parting ways, the rains came down heavily as we made our way back to the Metro. Floods were creeping up again.
Chef Tom dropped me off near my home, and by the time I opened the front door, the rain coat I was wearing was reduced to a wet rag. After a hot shower and a hot cop of instant coffee, I reviewed the days events and contemplated the pleasant consequences. As the the afternoon drew its veil, I took settled into the warm bed and fell blissfully into sleep. No use going to work. It was flooded everywhere in Manila. So being stuck was really not a bad idea. I will resume my professional life tomorrow. Bear with me.

No comments: