Thursday

Feel the heat

Another indispensable tool for the professional cook is a small item that has been in my chef's jacket pocket for close to 10 years. When I started out cooking professionally, roasting huge cuts of beef or turkey was difficult to test for doneness. Of course, experience is the best teacher. But for those who rely on technology to give an accurate reading, I rely on my trusty Cooper Pocket thermometer.
It reads in Fahrenheit, and is fairly accurate to a few tenths of a degree. About the length of a pen, the thermometer has a dial about the size of a lady's watch face.
It can easily be calibrated. A screw nut under the dial rotates for calibration. Just dip the tip of the thermometer into boiling water, wait for the needle to register the temperature. When the needle has settled, turn the screw nut for the pointer to rotate to a reading of 212F, the boiling temperature of water. then the thermometer is calibrated.
There are other thermometers that have a digital interface. Alto Shaam has a good one that is used by chef's the world over. Others have PDA probes. That's good too. But since I have had the thermometer for quite some time, it hurts to part ways in favor of upgrading. Besides, it has served me well.
Any comments? Do you know a good pocket thermometer? Let me know

No comments: