Saturday

A classic Filipino breakfast favorite

One of my fondest memories of my childhood was of champorado. Not the instant out of the package kind of gruel, but one that was made from scratch. On rainy mornings for breakfast or as merienda, a steaming bowl of the rich rice pudding really hits the spot. Since it was so much richer, it remained indelible in my mind, and sometimes I crave for it. The following recipe is one that I found stashed among my notes. It  works well. And it’s a quick recipe. In fact, I just made it this morning. Feel free to serve this with evaporated milk or condensed milk. Cheddar cheese, fried fish tuyo, danggit or even dilis goes well as accompaniments.

Ingredients

1 cup sweet rice (malagkit)
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup granulated brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
sweetened condensed milk (optional)

Directions

1 Cook Rice in a medium-size saucepan with water.

2 Stir constantly.

3 When rice is ready, rice should be somewhat transparent and it'll feel thicker as you stir.

4 Add the balance of ingredients except milk.

5 Serve in bowls with swirls of milk on top.

No comments: