Fresh Tilapia Corn Chowder
A great refreshing recipe. Several variations are available, but I find this one that would really hit the spot on a cold autumn afternoon.
60 g bacon
10 ml olive oil
70 g celery, diced
60 g leeks, sliced
60 g white onion, chopped
5 g rock salt
5 g fresh ground black pepper
3 g crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
900 ml fish stock
200 g potatoes, peeled and diced
300 g corn kernels , canned or fresh
550 g tilapia fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
3 g finely chopped fresh thyme
180 ml half-and-half
1 pc lemon, juiced
15 g chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Chop bacon. Add to stock pot with olive oil. Render the fat, 2-3 minutes
- Add celery, leek, onion and cook until transparent.
- Add stock, bring to boil, then lower heat to let simmer 4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and corn.
- Cook until the potatoes and corn are halfway tender , about 5-7 minutes.
- Dump in the fish. Let simmer for about 3-5 minutes, skimming as you go.
- Stir in cream. Add lemon juice.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper. To add a little bite, sprinkle in a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Sprinkle in the thyme, and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve it stemaing hot, garnished with chives.
This would be good with some crusty bread on the side.