Would you like to satisfy your vegan urges by diggin into a bowl of thick chili, curling up on a couch with a 'Sex in the City' DVD and just 'vegging' out? Try this recipe. Adapted from a contributor at recipezaar.com, it is fairly simple. You can also cook this in a slow cooker, as I have found to be most convenient when I want to see what inane thing Carrie does to his men. Between you and me, that guy whose heart she broke into a million pieces? The one who eventually asked her to move out? She does not deserve him.
30ml olive oil
80g white onion chopped
1 medium green pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 medium red pepper, deseeded and chopped
40g garlic, peeled and minced
200g button mushrooms, sliced
200g Red kidney beans, soaked overnight
200g chickpeas, canned, drained
350g Peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped
10g fresh basil, chopped
10g fresh oregano, chopped
100g canned corn, drained
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large pot. Saute onion and garlic until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped peppers and mushrooms. Continue cooking for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except the corn.
- Bring to a boil, the lower heat to a simmer. Let it roll for about half an hour covered, stirring occassionally.
- Stir in corn, and cook through for about 5-7 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Alternately, affter every ingredient but the corn has been put in the pot, transfer to slow cooker. Let it cook on low for about 4 hours. Then add the corn and let it further heat up for another 30 minutes. For added fire to your belly, I suggest to add fresh chili to the mix. When you are vegged out, sop the juices up with crusty bread. Have a couple of shots of tequila on the side, while you are cooking, or when you think Samantha is getting too much sex.