A hearty soup that is great for the coming BRR months! As with most soup recipes, this hot bowl of goodness DOES hit the spot. It's filling, it's nutritious. It has made the rounds with home cooks and professional cooks. I am sure there are a lot of versions, and I feel this particular recipe can serve as a springboard for other variations. Just use your imaginative palate to go beyond where no other soup kitchen has gone before!
300g Potatoes, peeled and diced
250g carrots, peeled and sliced
200g smoked bacon, diced
120g white onion, peeled and chopped
White pepper, fresh ground
750ml chicken stock
400g canned corn, drained
150 ml fresh cream
Sprig of parsley, chopped for garnish
- In a stock pot, render bacon over medium heat. About 2-3 minutes. The aroma will be great in this first step!
- Add onion, and stir to cook until transluscent. Make sure that it does not burn. We want it glossy.
- Add potatoes and carrots and stir to cook, do not color. About 4-5 minutes.
- Add flour, stir to distribute evenly.
- Add stock. Please use good quality stock. No fuss recipe available here. Bring to boil, then lower heat. Let simmer for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Don't worry if the veggies break up. That is what they are supposed to do.
- Let cool for 15 minutes. (This prevents the unnecessary mess in the next step.)
- Pass soup through a blender, and puree until smooth. If taken fresh from the fire, the blender will be your worst enemy. Letting it cool before processing prevents scalding spatters.
- Return to heat. Add drained corn. Bring back to a simmer. Stir occassionally for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in fresh cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring out the taste of fresh corn and bacon.
- Serve hot in soup plates. Garnish with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
For variation, try chorizo instead of bacon. Add bell peppers for a little bit of zing. Blend in butter for more richness. Let me know how you intend to use this recipe in the kitchen. Please leave your ideas as a comment. Other readers may find it useful!