Chillout and warm-up to this hearty bowl of bacon, chorizo and sausage soup that would be perfect for those after game outings or sitting by the camp fire telling ghost stories. Cup your hands around the warm bowl, watch the steam add magic to the evening light. Sop it up with crusty bread when you are done. This is a perfect crock pot recipe.
250g Chorizo sausage, diced
100g ground beef
80g smoked bacon, diced
80g white onion, chopped
80g carrots, peeled and diced
60g green bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
50g garlic, peeled and chopped
10g fresh basil, chopped
200g peeled tomatoes, chopped
750ml chicken stock
100g spinach leaves, chopped
salt and pepper
120g cheddar cheese, grated
- In a stock pot, render bacon fat over medium heat. Remove bacon and set aside. Drain excess fat.
- Return pot to heat. Add onions and garlic, and stir until transluscent.
- Add ground beef, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add diced bacon and chorizo. Stir to distribute evenly. Let cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the the vegetables and peeled tomatoes. Stir.
- Add chicken stock. bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Skim any excess oil and scum from the surface.
- Transfer to crock pot and set on low for 4-6 hours. Or until the meat is very tender.
- Add lentils and let simmer for another hour or so until softened.
- Add the spinach leaves and fresh basil and let simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the rich soup onto deep bowls. Top with grated cheddar cheese.
Gruyere cheese can be sbubstituted if you want the gooeyness factor to increase, making the soup more decadent.