Wednesday

Apps on the Go

This morning I realized that I am tied to my desktop. All my documents are there. All my recipes are stored in those two hard drives. My email is there. On my way to the restaurant I realized I have some surfing that needs to be done.

I find it irritating when I go to an internet cafe and they don't have the particular app that I need, or that I have to install still on the station, wasting valuable time. I like using Mozilla Firefox when browsing for recipes. I do not like entering my password in some strange computer. When I leave, there is no way to be assured that it will not be cached.

I found the solution while watchin Click! on BBC. It's called PortableApps.

"Now you can carry your favorite computer programs along with all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you. Use them on any Windows computer. All without leaving any personal data behind"

Just install it on your flashdrive. It is important that you have a flash drive with at least 512mb of memory. After installation, you will now have a small computer in your pocket, or pen sleeve, or that geeky shirt pocket pen holder that can carry hundreds of pens. Point is, this software has all the things you need to make your own computer experience portable.

"PortableApps.com provides a truly open platform that works with any hardware you like (USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, etc). It's open source built around an open format that any hardware vendor or software developer can use."

This software is free, and there is a myriad of apps that you can add on to further enhance you on-the-go productivity.

I like the GIMP software for creating menu cards and other design projects for the restaurant. Don't have to install the massive Photoshop each time I have an epiphany on menu design.

Found on http://www.portableapps.com/, check the applications tab. There are a lot of apps that I currently use. The Miranda IM consolidates all your IM software back home. No need for multiple windows or installations. just run this, and chat away!

Considering the portability, it is encouraged to also install the antivirus software to protect your flash drive.

What a way to go. OpenOffice is also included. So when I have to shuttle between two computers, I have no worries on working on the recipes and purchasing requirements that I do every day.
A very convenient solution for the need of portability.

No comments: